Elizabeth Ann Smith1
|Father*||Philip Smith b. 23 May 1854, d. 12 Nov 1924|
|Mother*||Ann Todd b. 10 Dec 1855, d. 14 Feb 1887|
|Charts||Michael Jefferies' ancestors|
Louise Simon's ancestors
The Galtons of Poole
The Davis' of Christchurch
The Gatrells from Christchurch
The Smiths of the Deepings
The Bettles of the Deepings
|Birth*||2 FEB 1875||Elizabeth Ann Smith was born on 2 FEB 1875 at Market Deeping, Lincolnshire, England.2,3|
|Marriage*||25 MAY 1903||She married Tom Galton, son of Edward Thomas Galton and Sarah Ann Davis, on 25 MAY 1903 at The Bible Christian Church, Fawcett Road, Portsmouth, Hampshire, England, witnessed by Harry Galton and Nellie Galton.4,5|
|Death*||8 AUG 1936||Elizabeth Ann Smith died on 8 AUG 1936 at 1 Corby Avenue, Swindon, Wiltshire, England, aged 61.6|
|Burial*||AUG 1936||She was buried in AUG 1936 at Witworth Road Cemetery, Swindon, Wiltshire, England.7|
|Name Variation||She was also known as Lizzie.8|
|(Witness) Residence||30 MAR 1881||She lived with Philip Smith and Ann Todd at Deeping Gate, Northamptonshire, England, together with Herbert Smith, Philip Cornelius Smith, Walter Smith and Ruth Smith.9|
|Occupation*||30 MAR 1891||The occupation of Elizabeth Ann Smith was 'as Domestic Housekeeper (for her father).10'|
|(Witness) Residence||30 MAR 1891||She lived with Philip Smith at High Street, Market Deeping, Lincolnshire, England, together with Ruth Smith, Emma Smith, Walter Smith, Stephen Smith and Martha Smith.11|
|Note*||Elizabeth Ann Smith and Martha Smith moved to Poole in the household of Walter Marston, founder of the Dolphin Brewery in 1893.12|
|Residence*||30 MAR 1901||Elizabeth Ann Smith lived at Bayard Lodge, Parkstone Road, Longfleet, Poole, Dorset, England.13|
|Note*||30 MAR 1901||She Walter Marston,a Director of Marston's Dolphin Brewery Ltd - Poole and who came from Market Deeping. on 30 MAR 1901 at Poole, Dorset, England.14|
|Employment*||30 MAR 1901||She was employed as a Domestic Housemaid (with sister Martha) at Poole, Dorset.15|
|(Witness) Employment||30 MAR 1901||She witnessed the employment of Martha Smith on 30 MAR 1901 at Longfleet, Poole, Dorset.16|
|Married Name||Her married name was Galton.17|
|Residence||2 APR 1911||Elizabeth Ann Smith and Tom Galton lived at 9 Chapel Lane, Poole, Dorset, England, together with Hattie Galton and Edith Elsie Galton.18|
|Employment||2 APR 1911||Elizabeth Ann Smith was employed as an office cleaner, auctioneers.19|
|(Witness) Note||She witnessed the note of Philip Smith and Clara Hack.20|
|Residence||10 JUN 1918||Elizabeth Ann Smith and Tom Galton lived at 142 High Street, Poole, Dorset, England, together with Emma Smith, Edith Elsie Galton, Hattie Galton and Philip Edward Tom Galton.21|
|Residence||1925||Elizabeth Ann Smith and Tom Galton lived at EDHAPHIL, 32 Serpentine Road, Poole, Dorset, England, together with Hattie Galton, Philip Edward Tom Galton and Edith Elsie Galton ; named after the three children at home.22|
|Residence*||5 DEC 1930||Elizabeth Ann Smith and Tom Galton lived at Poole, Dorset, together with Edith Elsie Galton and Philip Edward Tom Galton.23|
|(Witness) Residence||MAR 1936||Elizabeth Ann Galton lived with Frank William Jefferies B.A and Edith Elsie Galton at Swindon, Wiltshire, together with Tom Galton.22,24|
|Note*||MAR 1936||Elizabeth Ann Smith and Tom Galton moved to Swindon as Elizabeth was so ill in MAR 1936.22|
|Tom Galton b. 12 Jun 1875, d. 4 Feb 1948|
|Marriage*||25 MAY 1903||Elizabeth Ann Smith married Tom Galton, son of Edward Thomas Galton and Sarah Ann Davis, on 25 MAY 1903 at Portsmouth, Hampshire, witnessed by Harry Galton and Nellie Galton.4,5|
|Last Edited||25 Aug 2018|
- [S1] Copies of B, M, & D Certificates, birth, Elizabeth Ann, Market Deeping; father Philip Smith, mother Ann Todd. no 452.
- [S1] Copies of B, M, & D Certificates, birth, Elizabeth Ann, father Philip Smith, mother Ann Todd. Market Deeping, no 452.
- [S2] Book inscriptions, Bible of Ann Todd, Market Deeping 1882; birth dates.
- [S1] Copies of B, M, & D Certificates, marriage, Tom Galton, 27, father Edward Thomas (dec.), & Elizabeth Ann Smith, 28, father Philip Smith; Portsmouth, Hants., Page 9, no 18.
- [S2] Book inscriptions, Bible of Ann Todd, Market Deeping 1882; marriage, Southsea Hants.
- [S1] Copies of B, M, & D Certificates, death; age 61, Swindon, Wilts, 1(a) Secondary Carcinoma Liver (b) Primary Carcinoma Intestine, No. 230. 1936. original.
- [S1] Copies of B, M, & D Certificates, listed as Grave #433 Sec F.
- [S2] Book inscriptions, and in some census returns.
- [S21] Extracted from the 1881 census.
- [S46] Extracted from the 1891 census.
- [S46] Extracted from the 1891 census, Philip as widower, dau. Elizabeth as housekeeper.
- [S54] Internet source/web sites inc. trees, from the Deepings Heritage blog; June 2018 about Walter Marston.
Walter Marston was born in Market Deeping, son of brewery owner John Taylor Marston whose premises were next door to The Bull. Walter competed in athletics and shooting tournaments in his youth, and was in his late thirties in the picture. He moved permanently to Dorset in 1893 with his family and widowed mother-in-law, Mary Lee. He was a director of the Dolphin Brewery in Poole for 46 years, on the Town Council and the Workhouse Board of Guardians there. He died in Poole in 1915, aged 64.
- [S35] Extracted from the 1901 census.
- [S54] Internet source/web sites inc. trees, research by MGJ on Dolphin's Brewery.
- [S35] Extracted from the 1901 census, in household of W Marston, Director, Dolphin Brewery.
- [S35] Extracted from the 1901 census, age 19, as cook servant.
- [S1] Copies of B, M, & D Certificates, marriage.
- [S68] The England & Wales 1911 census, 5 rooms.
- [S68] The England & Wales 1911 census.
- [S2] Book inscriptions, from a letter from EEG to LJ, June 1985.
- [S2] Book inscriptions, from a Visitors Declaration Form, B.M. 24, Ministry of Food by E Smith, to household of E Galton, 142 High Street, Poole. 10 Jun 1918 and other ration books of the time.
- [S2] Book inscriptions, from 'Notes on the Galton Tree by FWJ, 1985.
- [S1] Copies of B, M, & D Certificates, Marriage Certificate of Edith E Galton.
- [S124] 1939 census.