#210, (June 1882-December 1965)
|Birth*||JUN 1882 ||Martha Smith was born in JUN 1882 at Market Deeping, Lincolnshire, England.1,2 |
|Marriage*||10 MAY 1904 ||She married William Henry Gillett, son of Charles Gillett and Eliza Gillingham, on 10 MAY 1904 at St John's Church, Branksome, Dorset, England, witnessed by Tom Galton and Mary Ann Jackson.3,4 |
|Death*||DEC 1965 ||Martha Smith died in DEC 1965 at Market Deeping, Lincolnshire, aged 83.5 |
|(Witness) Residence||30 MAR 1891 ||She lived with Philip Smith at High Street, Market Deeping, Lincolnshire, England, together with Ruth Smith, Emma Smith, Walter Smith, Stephen Smith and Elizabeth Ann Smith.6 |
|Note*|| ||Martha Smith and Elizabeth Ann Smith moved to Poole in the household of Walter Marston, founder of the Dolphin Brewery in 1893.7 |
|(Witness) PHOto|| ||Martha Smith witnessed the photo of Philip Smith at Market Deeping, Lincolnshire.8 |
|(Witness) Employment||30 MAR 1901 ||Martha Smith witnessed the employment of Elizabeth Ann Smith on 30 MAR 1901 at Poole, Dorset, England.9 |
|Employment*||30 MAR 1901 ||Martha Smith was employed as Domestic Cook at Bayard Lodge, Parkstone Road, Longfleet, Poole, Dorset, England.10 |
|Married Name||JUN 1904 ||Her married name was Gillett.3 |
|Residence*||30 MAR 1911 ||She and William Henry Gillett lived at Prospect Place, High Street, Market Deeping, Lincolnshire, England, together with Winifred Gillett, William Bernard Gillett and Elsie Lilian Gillett.11 |
- [S17] BMD indices, birth, Peterborough, Lincs, Apr-Jun 1882, vol 3b 271.
- [S46] Extracted from the 1891 census, age 9 at census.
- [S17] BMD indices, Poole, Dorset, Apr-Jun 1904, vol 5a 615.
- [S48] Parish Register, marriage; Martha Smith, 22, father Philip, & William Henry Gillett, 24, father Charles (dec), St Jaohn's, Bramksome, no 3, p 2.
- [S78] England & Wales Death Index 1916-2005, death, age 83, Bourne, Lincs., Dec 1965, 3b 69.
- [S46] Extracted from the 1891 census, Philip as widower, dau. Elizabeth as housekeeper.
- [S54] Internet source/web sites, from the Deepings Heritage blog; June 2018 about Walter Marston.
Walter Marston was born in Market Deeping, son of brewery owner John Taylor Marston whose premises were next door to The Bull. Walter competed in athletics and shooting tournaments in his youth, and was in his late thirties in the picture. He moved permanently to Dorset in 1893 with his family and widowed mother-in-law, Mary Lee. He was a director of the Dolphin Brewery in Poole for 46 years, on the Town Council and the Workhouse Board of Guardians there. He died in Poole in 1915, aged 64.
- [S37] Family photo, The Smiths.
- [S35] Extracted from the 1901 census, in household of W Marston, Director, Dolphin Brewery.
- [S35] Extracted from the 1901 census, age 19, as cook servant.
- [S68] The 1911 census.
- [S29] Email from, from Mary P Cole,sister, 2008.
- [S29] Email from, from Mary P Cole, 2008.
@ Michael Jefferies, 2016