|Father*||Joseph Smith2 b. 1822, d. 12 Oct 1880|
|Mother*||Harriet Palmer3 b. Nov 1825, d. Aug 1885|
|Charts||Michael Jefferies' ancestors|
Louise Simon's ancestors
The Smiths of the Deepings
The Bettles of the Deepings
The Palmers of Deeping St James
The Woodwards of Lincolnshire
The Todds of Rutland & the Deepings
|Birth*||23 MAY 1854||Philip Smith was born on 23 MAY 1854 at Church Street, Dudley, Worcestershire, EnglandG.1,4|
|Baptism||11 JUN 1854||He was baptized on 11 JUN 1854 at St Thomas' Church, Dudley, Worcestershire, EnglandG.5|
|(Witness) Residence||30 MAR 1861||He lived with Joseph Smith and Harriet Palmer at Rotten Row, Deeping St James, Lincolnshire, EnglandG, together with Sophia Smith, Sarah Jane Smith, Harriet Smith and Elizabeth Smith.6|
|Employment||30 MAR 1871||Philip Smith was employed as Agricultural Labourer at Market Deeping, Lincolnshire, EnglandG.7|
|(Witness) Residence||30 MAR 1871||He lived with Joseph Smith and Harriet Palmer at Deeping St James, LincolnshireG, together with Elizabeth Smith, Ann Smith, Joseph Smith and Kate Smith.8|
|Marriage*||26 MAR 1873||Philip Smith married Ann Todd, daughter of Isaac Todd and Elizabeth Bettles, on 26 MAR 1873 at The Registry Office, Whitby, Yorkshire, EnglandG, witnessed by Elizabeth Barnett.9,10|
|Occupation||2 FEB 1875||The occupation of Philip Smith was 'Farm labourer.11'|
|Residence*||2 FEB 1875||He and Ann Todd lived at Market Deeping, LincolnshireG.11|
|Employment||30 MAR 1881||Philip Smith was employed as Brewer's Labourer.12|
|Residence||30 MAR 1881||He and Ann Todd lived at Deeping Gate, Northamptonshire, EnglandG, together with Herbert Smith, Elizabeth Ann Smith, Philip Cornelius Smith, Walter Smith and Ruth Smith.13|
|Occupation||12 SEP 1883||The occupation of Philip Smith was 'Brewers Labourer.14'|
|(Witness) Death||14 FEB 1887||He witnessed the Death of Ann Todd on 14 FEB 1887 at Market Deeping, LincolnshireG.15|
|Employment*||30 MAR 1891||Philip Smith was employed as Brewer's Labourer.16|
|Residence*||30 MAR 1891||He lived at High Street, Market Deeping, Lincolnshire, EnglandG, together with Ruth Smith, Emma Smith, Walter Smith, Stephen Smith, Martha Smith and Elizabeth Ann Smith.17|
|Marriage*||24 MAY 1892||Philip Smith married Ann Harvey, daughter of John Harvey and Jane Green, on 24 MAY 1892 at Cave Adullam Chapel, Deeping St James, Lincolnshire, EnglandG.18|
|(Witness) Death||10 JUN 1897||Philip Smith witnessed the Death of Ann Harvey on 10 JUN 1897 at Market Deeping, LincolnshireG.19|
|Baptism||29 JAN 1899||Philip Smith was baptized by Pastor M.J.Tryon on 29 JAN 1899 at Cave Adullam Chapel, Deeping St James, Lincolnshire, EnglandG.20|
|Residence*||30 MAR 1901||He lived at Market Deeping, LincolnshireG, together with Stephen Smith and Ruth Smith.7|
|Occupation||30 MAR 1901||The occupation of Philip Smith was 'Coal Merchant.21'|
|Marriage*||23 MAY 1904||He married Clara Hack, daughter of Joseph Hack and Sarah Smith, on 23 MAY 1904 at Lion Chapel, Erskine Street, Leicester, Leicestershire, EnglandG, witnessed by Joseph Hack and Sarah Smith.22|
|Occupation*||2 APR 1911||The occupation of Philip Smith was 'Farmer and General Carter.23'|
|Residence*||2 APR 1911||He and Clara Hack lived at Market Deeping, LincolnshireG.24|
|(Witness) Note||Philip Smith witnessed the note of Edith Elsie Galton.25|
|Note*||NOV 1924||From the Obituary in the local paper: married 3 times, 8 children, 34 grandchildren and 12 great-grandchildren.26|
|Death*||12 NOV 1924||Philip Smith died on 12 NOV 1924 at Market Deeping, LincolnshireG, aged 70.27,28,29|
|Burial*||14 NOV 1924||He was buried on 14 NOV 1924 at The Cemetery, Market Deeping, Lincolnshire, EnglandG.30|
|Ann Todd b. 10 Dec 1855, d. 14 Feb 1887|
|Marriage*||26 MAR 1873||He married Ann Todd, daughter of Isaac Todd and Elizabeth Bettles, on 26 MAR 1873 at Whitby, YorkshireG, witnessed by Elizabeth Barnett.9,10|
|Last Edited||15 Feb 2019|
- [S1] Copies of B, M, & D Certificates, birth; Philip Smith, parents Joseph Smith, chimney sweep & Harriet Palmer, Dudley, Worcs., no 85.
- [S29] Email from, from S McKendry-Smith.
- [S44] Extracted from the 1861 census, in census, born in Leicester.
- [S17] BMD indices, birth, Dudley, Staffs., Apr-Jun 1854, vol 6c 147.
- [S65] England & Wales Christenings, birth & bapt., Philip Smith, parents Joseph & Harriet, St Thomas, Dudley, fhl no 378778 & 378779.
- [S44] Extracted from the 1861 census.
- [S35] Extracted from the 1901 census.
- [S45] Extracted from the 1871 census.
- [S1] Copies of B, M, & D Certificates, marriage; Ann Todd, 19, father Isaac, & Philip Smith, 19, father Joseph, Registrar, Whitby, Yorks., no. 189. Philip signed by mark.
- [S17] BMD indices, Whitby, Yorks, Jan-Mar 1873, vol 9d 673.
- [S1] Copies of B, M, & D Certificates, Birth D6361, No. 89, Elizabeth Ann SMITH.
- [S21] Extracted from the 1881 census, in census desc.
- [S21] Extracted from the 1881 census.
- [S1] Copies of B, M, & D Certificates, on Stephen's birth certificate.
- [S37] Family photo, slide taken by FWJ.
- [S46] Extracted from the 1891 census, in census occupation.
- [S46] Extracted from the 1891 census, Philip as widower, dau. Elizabeth as housekeeper.
- [S1] Copies of B, M, & D Certificates, marriage, Philip Smith, 37, & Ann Harvey, father John, 50, Particular Baptist Rites, Cave Adullam, Deeping St James, no 125.
- [S1] Copies of B, M, & D Certificates, death, age 55, Deeping, Lincs., no. 35. Carcinoma of uterus, also BMD vol 7a 220.
- [S2] Book inscriptions, anonymous leaflet found in Elizabeth Smiths bible.
- [S35] Extracted from the 1901 census, Employer working at home.
- [S1] Copies of B, M, & D Certificates, marriage, Philip Smith, 49, widower, & Clara Hack, 42, father Joseph, Baptist Rites, Lion Chapel, Leicester, no 37.
- [S68] The England & Wales 1911 census.
- [S68] The England & Wales 1911 census, with Mercy Mann, sick nurse and Sarah Torey, 82, widow. Note Philip's birthplace he is uncertain of.
- [S2] Book inscriptions, from a letter from EEG to LJ, June 1985.
- [S66] Obit., scan of obituary from local newspaper.
- [S78] England & Wales Death Index 1916-2005, death, age 70, Bourne, Lincs., Dec 1924, vol 7a 389.
- [S82] Probate, England & Wales, date from probate record; to Clara Smith, widow & Herbert Smith (son).
- [S66] Obit., Photo of obit in local paper.
- [S66] Obit., Obit., 'A short Account of the Late Philip Smith.'